Jets power back to the top


Jets' late two-goal burst seals vital victory


Listen to post-match reaction:


JETS are once again front-runners for the Premiership after downing Brisbane Roar Youth 4-1 at Wolter Park on Wednesday night.

Defender Scott Stewart opened accounts for the hosts late in the opening stanza before second-half goals to Charles Mendy, Stephen Green and Chom Arop sealed the win for the Jets.

The result sees Jets edge ahead of PlayStation 4 NPL Queensland Premiership rivals Brisbane Strikers on goal difference, with two matches remaining for both sides in the home-and-away season.

Both sides fashioned opportunities in the opening quarter hour but went without reward - Jets’ Jackson Hall and Young Roar’s Samuel Sibatura sending efforts over the crossbar.

The hosts proved increasingly dangerous as the half progressed with Young Roar defender Cameron Crestani forced to close down a promising run from Royce Brownlie before Mendy headed high of the target shortly after.

The goalkeepers were called upon midway through the half - Young Roar’s Stephen O’Neill forcing a deflected save from Luke Borean; before Declan Murphy, on debut for Young Roar, smothered a pair of efforts from Liam Previtera at close range.

A succession of Jets’ corners failed to deliver the breakthrough before Stewart headed home his first PlayStation 4 NPL Queensland goal courtesy of Matt Capello’s cross.

Both sides saw chances to add further goals before the break - O’Neill sending a free-kick just wide before Green saw his strike saved by Murphy.

Mendy proved lively after the restart - sending a deflected shot just wide - before doubling Jets’ advantage after poking home from Brownlie’s pass prior to the hour.

Young Roar battled their way back into the contest when Patrick Theodore earned a penalty on 68 minutes - Sibatuara’s spot kick was saved by Borean, however fell invitingly for looming O’Neill to convert on the rebound.

Jets found another gear in reply and saw the better of the chances for the remainder of the contest.

With a quarter hour remaining Mendy fired over the crossbar before substitute Arop, in his first senior run of 2015, called upon Murphy to save only a minute after entering the fray.

The pressure told in the final ten minutes as Green doubled Jets’ advantage with a strong header from Arop’s cross for his second goal of the season.

Arop then wrapped up the result with four minutes remaining - nodding home a deflection at the far post for his maiden PlayStation 4 NPL Queensland goal in only his eighth appearance in three seasons.

Speaking post-match, Jets coach Adam Piddick explained that his side’s work-rate had pleased him as much as the three-goal margin.

“The last month or so we’ve been working up to that but things just haven’t gone our way. Today it all clicked for us and we’re probably a little bit unlucky not to get a couple more,” Piddick said.

Young Roar coach John Sime said his side was punished for its mistakes, but suggested the playing surface had stifled his side’s showing.

“I was quite happy (with the performance) considering the state of the pitch. The field is an absolute disgrace and how anybody can expect good quality football on a field of that calibre just beats me,” Sime said.

Moreton Bay United FC  4 (Scott STEWART 35’, Charles MENDY 53’, Stephen GREEN 83’, Chom AROP ’86)
Brisbane Roar FC Youth 1 (Stephen O’NEILL 68’)