Mendy double, but Jets go down


Thomas Mendy fires home the first of his two goals at Olympic on Friday night. Picture Albert Perez

Jets' unbeaten run comes to an end

JETS' long, unbeaten run came to an end in their 10th match of the PlayStation 4 NPL Queensland season when Tim Smits' second hat-trick in as many games gave Olympic FC to a 4-2 win at Goodwin Park on Friday.

Smits' haul was complemented by a first-half strike from Sam Cronin for the hosts while Thomas Mendy netted a brace for Jets.

The result lifts Olympic level on points with Brisbane Strikers but the 2013 Premiers-Champions remain in third place on goal difference. Jets remain top two-points clear of Strikers who lost 2-1 at Redlands.

An energetic opening to the match saw the visitors fashion the first chance on goal - Olympic goalkeeper Matt Acton turning tipping clear Jordan Farina’s cross-cum-shot inside five minutes.

Olympic’s ventures into the final third failed to trouble Jets goalkeeper Luke Borean until approaching the half hour when the gloveman blocked an attempt from Michael Lee.

Minutes later Olympic skipper Danny Byrne struck the crossbar allowing Smits to open accounts on the follow-up - his first shot blocked by Jets defender Jacob Mitchell before finding the back of the net with the second attempt.

The hosts doubled the advantage only three minutes later when Byrne forced a save from Borean before the looming Cronin tucked home the loose ball with an opportunistic finish.

However, Jets found a reply just before half-time when Mark Fisks’ attempted clearance deflected fortunately for Mendy, allowing the Frenchman to convert from point-blank range.

Jets finished the half strongly as Stephen Green’s shot skimmed the crossbar before Royce Brownlie missed from the penalty spot, dragging his strike wide of the goal.

Olympic made the most of the let-off five minutes after the restart as Smits struck again - delivering a left-footed volleyed finish from 18 yards through a crowded penalty area.

The hosts again let Jets back into the contest just after the hour when Daniel Crack fouled Green inside the penalty area, allowing Mendy to convert with the ensuing penalty for his fourth goal of the 2015 campaign.

However, Smits struck with a quarter horu to play to secure the result for the hosts with a trademark headed finish from Scott Bow’s cross - his ninth goal of the season, moving him into equal first in the golden boot race.

Smits was denied a fourth in time added on after skirting Borean but saw his shot cleared on the line by retreating Jets defender Alex Henderson.

Speaking post-match, Jets coach Adam Piddick accepted his side’s first league defeat of 2015 good-naturedly following a nine-match unbeaten start to the campaign.

“If you told me (the undefeated run) was the case at the start of the year I would’ve taken it. It’s disappointing tonight but not many teams will come here and take points off Olympic,” he said.

Olympic FC  4 (Tim SMITS 30’ 51’ 76’, Sam CRONIN 33’)
Moreton Bay United FC  2 (Thomas MENDY 41’ 63’p)